Day 3 of our week-long “Favorites of 2013″ posting event is all about our favorite comics artists of 2013.
We may all be on our holiday break, but thanks to the power of the WordPress publishing scheduler, we have traveled through space and time to bring you our lists of our favorite things of 2013.
The schedule of our list postings is as follows:
- Dec. 25: Favorite Comics Series of 2013
- Dec. 26: Favorite Comics Writers of 2013
- Dec. 27: Favorite Comics Artists of 2013 (today’s article)
- Dec. 28: Favorite Comics-based Internet/TV Series of 2013
- Dec. 29: Favorite Toys/Collectibles of 2013
- Dec. 30: Favorites of 2013—The Best of the Rest (Jason’s selections for favorite comics-based movie and comics-based video game, as well as Zedric’s choices for favorite graphic novel/one-shot, favorite reprint collection, favorite art book, and favorite translated comic)
Today, we’re listing our favorite comics artists of the year. Below is the qualifying criteria for selections:
- Selection should be made solely on the basis of new comics material from the artist published between Dec. 19, 2012 and Dec. 18, 2013 (i.e., this is not a “lifetime achievement award”).
- All artists can be considered: pencilers, inkers, illustrators (i.e., penciler/inker), colorists, painters, 3D modelers.
Again, just to remind you guys of the spirit of this exercise, this is a list of the artists who created our favorite comics visuals of 2013, not a list of the “best” artists of 2013 (however one would define “best” in this case).
Before I proceed with my list, I just want to make it clear that a number of active comics artists whose work I really like didn’t make my “favorite comics artists of 2013″ list because I haven’t seen enough of their 2013 output due to time limitations. There just aren’t enough hours in the day to read all the comics I like as they come out. These artists include Darwyn Cooke, Hiroaki Samura, Christopher Mitten, Becky Cloonan, P. Craig Russell, Takeshi Miyazawa, Jason Pearson, and so many more.
Also, I’m real wishy-washy when it comes to ranking favorites—I like to think that I appreciate them all equally well for different reasons—so my list of favorite comics artists of 2013, as all my other lists in the coming days, will simply be arranged in alphabetical order.
- Frank Cho: for his work on Savage Wolverine (Marvel)
- Faith Erin Hicks: for her work on The Last of Us: American Dreams (Dark Horse)
- Sean Murphy: for his work on The Wake (DC/Vertigo)
- Goran Parlov: for his work on Fury: My War Gone By (Marvel/MAX)
- Eduardo Risso: for his work on 100 Bullets: Brother Lono (DC/Vertigo)
- Nick Runge: for his work on Fever Ridge: A Tale of MacArthur’s Jungle War (IDW)
- Victor Santos: for his work on Polar (self-published webcomic/Dark Horse) and The Mice Templar (Image Comics)
- Matteo Scalera: for his work on Black Science (with Dean White, Image Comics) and Indestructible Hulk (Marvel Comics)
- Adam Warren: for his work on Empowered (Dark Horse) and A+X #10 (Marvel)
- Leinil Francis Yu: for his work on Indestructible Hulk (Marvel Comics), Avengers (Marvel Comics), and The Trial of the Punisher (Marvel Comics)
- Steve Epting (Velvet)
- Jamie McKelvie (Young Avengers)
- Joe Madureira. I acknowledge he’s sort of a niche guy, and not everyone’s cup of tea, but I like his work. This year, I’ve really enjoyed his run, short though it was, on Savage Wolverine.