Click through to read a complete seven-page short, “Baby Heart,” in our advance preview of Conditions on the Ground, from Kevin Hooyman and Portland’s Floating World Comics.
- Hardcover with cloth spine/black & white/$29.99 (US)
- Story & art: Kevin Hooyman
- Preorders will ship 29 July 2015 (Place preorders direct from Floating World Comics via this link )
- Retailers, order this book through Diamond Comic Distributors using item code MAY150886
- “Conditions On The Ground weaves a graphic stream of consciousness with metaphysical atmospheres and a mystical cast of characters. Kevin Hooyman’s fantastically detailed comics elevate everyday situations into psychedelic self-reflection and humorous revelations. This gorgeous 360 page hardcover collects all 10 issues of Kevin’s breakthrough series. Includes favorites: ‘Lay Bare My Brain,’ ‘Baby Heart,’ ‘Bagman,’ ‘Storm Valley,’ and of course, ‘Hot New Dance Moves’!”
- Selected for The Best American Comics 2015.
Praise for Conditions on the Ground
Conditions On The Ground is 350 beautiful pages of existential and meditative comics. It had me smiling all day.
- Farel Dalrymple (Pop Gun War, The Wrenchies)
Hooyman will comb and smooth and style your neurons with his groovy lines of beauty.
- Jonathan Lethem (Motherless Brooklyn, Dissident Gardens)
Someone’s got to bring back dispatches from the creatures of the farthest reaches and I’m glad Hooyman is up for the task.
- Brian Chippendale (Ninja, Maggots, If ‘n’ Oof)
About Kevin Hooyman
Kevin Hooyman was born in 1974 in Two Harbors, Minnesota and raised in Seattle, Washington. In 1993, he moved to Providence, Rhode Island to attend Brown University where he earned a degree in Visual Arts before moving to New York City, where he is currently based. Kevin’s energetic linework captures the lushness and vibrancy of a psychedelic experience. His illustrations have been featured in Arthur, various album covers, Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom, and a number of self-published books.